Speech-Language Pathology FAQs

"I'm intrigued by the field of Speech-Language Pathology.  What can I do with an undergraduate degree?"

Most frequently, the undergraduage degree is preparation for a Masters Degree in Speech-Language Pathology.  However, the undergraduate degree can also serve as a stepping stone to graduate study in fields such as: early childhood as well as special education, medicine, psychology, social work,  physical therapy, occupational therapy, and dentistry.

"How about a graduate degree?"

A Masters Degree in Speech-Language Pathology allows you to provide diagnostic and treatment services to persons with communication disorders.  Those disorders include:
  • articulation (e.g. a lisp)
  • phonology (e.g. saying "ting" instead of "string")
  • voice disorders (like hoarseness or breathiness)
  • stuttering
  • aphasia (after a stroke a person can't think of a word they want to say)
  • motor speech disorders (weak or uncoordinated muscles that are used to speak)
  • swallowing
  • dementia
  • language impairments in children (saying, "I jump" instead of "I am jumping.")
  • autism
  • late talkers (infants and children with language delays)
  • reading and writing impairments

"I want to major in Speech-Language Pathology.  What's my first step?"

Good Question!!!!  You should inform the admissions office that you intend to major in speech-language pathology in College of Education and Human Sciences. The college will assign you  an advisor  and that person will help you plan your course work for this major.  You will sign up for courses for your first semester at UNL at the time you attend New Student Orientation. The first course you will take as a Speech-Language Pathology major is SLPA 150 Introduction to Communication Disorders. 

After you have taken the first four Speech-Language Pathology courses SLPA 150, 250, 251, and 271, and take and pass the PreProfessional Skills Test (PPST), you need to apply to the PreProfessional Program in Communication Disorders.

"Because I need to get an advanced degree, where can I get information about UNL's Masters Program?"

Visit the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Graduate Studies home page for general information, then the departmental site for specifics.

"I already have a Bachelors Degree, but it's not in Speech-Language Pathology.  What should I do?"

You can take most of the SLP undergraduate courses in an intensive year or so.  We can help you.

"What kinds of courses will I be taking?"

Here are some undergraduate courses you can take first.  Here's a list  of graduate courses!

"Can I find a job?"

We are here to help you do just that!  The field of Speech-Language Pathology tends to have a wide variety of job openings across the country and these are expected to be stable or increase over time. Our faculty members are happy to discuss any issues with you!  You may also visit the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association for interesting information about careers in this field. 
UNL's Career Services is there to help you.  They  (402-472-0145) can introduce you to recruiters looking for professionals in your field.

"What forms are needed to apply for programs in this department?"

The forms are online for your convenience. And listen as our graduate secretary, Jill England, answers your questions about them.

"Who might I have for professors?"

Among the best faculty in the nation! We are ranked in the top 5% of SLP programs in the country!

"Why is UNL such a great place to get an education?"

You are invited to visit the UNL website at http://www.unl.edu and explore all the opportunities UNL can offer you!

Pre-Professional Program | Graduate Program | Doctoral Program | Curriculum | Faculty | FAQs | Speech Pathology Home