Child Development-Early Childhood Education
Challenging ... stimulating ... rewarding: Child Development/Early Childhood Education prepares students for a personally satisfying career working with children and their families. Students learn to work effectively with diverse children, helping them learn and grow. Students learn that giving back to the community is highly rewarding.
UNL Points of Distinction
- Students are engaged in at least two practicum/student teaching experiences with children.
- Students can participate in two nationally recognized professional organizations, The American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) and National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), and can attend local, state, and national meetings.
- Strong advising helps students with their academic program and potential careers.
- The only program in the state accredited by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS). Also accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The child development/early childhood education career path provides a comprehensive program in child development theory, research, practice and application. Emphasis is on children, birth to age five. Careers are possible in:
- Head Start Programs
- Child Care Centers
- Nonprofit Organizations - Child Specialist
- Youth Care
- Foster Care
- Child Support Enforcement
- Youth Agencies