Challenging ... stimulating ... rewarding: Family Science prepares students for a personally rewarding profession working with individuals and families. Learning about family systems and interrelationships prepares students to work with diverse individuals and families. Family Science is a comprehensive program grounded in family science theory, research and professional practice and application. It provides students with knowledge and intervention skills to help to prevent and remedy interpersonal problems experienced in family relationships, building on the family strengths. Students can also select courses that build their expertise in family financial management.
UNL Points of Distinction
- Internships are a required component of every program with agencies that serve children, youth, and families.
- Students have the opportunity to intern in family service agencies and other places of potential employment.
- Strong advising helps students with their academic program and potential careers.
- The only program in the state accredited by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS).
- Students can participate in a nationally recognized professional organization, the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, and have opportunities to attend local, state and national meetings of the organization.
This program has historically prepared students for many different career opportunities in human services including non-profit agencies, youth development agencies, government agencies serving families and financial service agencies. Possible careers include:
- Family Support Specialist
- Chemical Dependency Specialist
- Youth Care Specialist
- Halfway House Administrator
- Youth Agency Director
- Foster Care Specialist
- Credit Union Representative
- Consumer Affairs Specialist
- Extension Educator
- 4-H Assistant
- Financial Companies