CYAF - Journalism & Mass Communication
Challenging ... stimulating... creative: Child, Youth and Family Studies/Journalism and Mass Communications prepares students for an exciting profession in broadcasting, advertising or news editing. This option combines a background in family science with skills in writing, speaking and/or designing publications or advertising. This is a joint program between CYAF and the UNL College of Journalism and Mass Communications.
UNL Points of Distinction
- Internships are a required component of every program.
- Internships are set up with agencies or businesses that can use a student's journalism talent.
- Strong advising helps students with their academic program and potential careers.
- The only program in the state accredited by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS).
- Students can participate in a nationally recognized professional organization, the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS), and have opportunities to attend local, state, and national meetings of the organization.
This program combines a broad background in child, youth and family studies with one area of journalism (advertising, news editorial or broadcasting). Possible careers include:
- Advertising Coordinator
- Newspaper Reporting/Editing
- Magazine Reporting/Editing
- International-Director of Program Funding
- Communications firm representative
- Freelance reporter/ writer