Textiles, Merchandising & Fashion Design
Textiles, Merchandising & Fashion Design Certificate, Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.)
Graduate programs at the master’s level in the Department of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design allow you to concentrate your coursework in merchandising of apparel and textiles, costume or textile history, quilt studies, textile science, and textile or apparel design. Individual programs may include coursework in business, history, art, art history, education, chemistry, and statistics as well as textiles, merchandising and fashion design. In consultation with a faculty adviser, you plan an individualized course of study linking background interest with research or creative interests of departmental faculty and educational resources of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The masters program requires 30 to 36 semester hours of graduate coursework.
On-campus ProgramsDetermined by the selected area of emphasis or area of study, three options are available: thesis, special project, or a non-thesis option with comprehensive exam. Course requirements include approximately 15-20 hours of course work in textiles, merchandising and fashion design. Textile History/Quilt Studies options require a combination of on-campus and distance technology instruction. Additional course work may be taken in areas outside the department.
The Textile History/Quilt Studies distance delivery program requires a spring semester of traditional on-campus courses totaling 9 credit hours. Most students complete a non-thesis option with a professional internship; a thesis option (with permission) is occassionally pursued. For more information about distance education courses in the area of Masters of Art, Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design contact the Office of Graduate Studies.
Hybrid Distance Education Program (MA)
Application to this program
• Completion of online application through GAMES
• Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
• Minimum GRE Scores (Institution code = 6877) Verbal 150, Quantitative 141, and 4.0 Analytical Writing. For textile science students, the minimum scores are 143 Verbal, 155 Quantitative, and 4.0 Analytical Writing.
• Minimum TOEFL scores (International Students only) 550 on paper test, 213 on computer based test or 79 on the internet based test (Institution code – 6877).
• Digital Portfolio for textile design and apparel design areas of interest only.