Below you will find information on the college computer replacement program, college equipment policies, computer warranty information, and data storage and backup options. Please contact your local CEHS IT staff for questions or more information.
CEHS Computer Replacement Program (CRP)
College of Education and Human Sciences (CEHS) provides a new computer every four years for qualifying CEHS faculty and staff. The Dean's office provides two-thirds of the funding, up to $1,200, and the department provides one-third of the funding, or more if the equipment exceeds $1,800.
Who qualifies for the Computer Replacement Program?
In general, full-time, state-funded positions, such as tenure stream faculty, Professors of Practice, clinical faculty on multi-year contracts, office staff positions (part-time office positions may qualify for CRP), and research professors funded on department state funds. If a position is partially funded through grant funds, the grant may need to proportionately pay for the equipment, if allowed.
How are eligibility dates determined?
Computers purchased through CRP are tracked based on calendar year and are eligible for replacement 4 years from the time of purchase. For example, a faculty/staff member who receives a computer purchased between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019 will be eligible in FY24 (begins July 1, 2023). CRP computers purchased in previous years will be adjusted to this new schedule for eligibility.
Calendar Year Purchased
FY21 (July 1, 2020)
FY22 (July 1, 2021)
FY23 (July 1, 2022)
FY24 (July 1, 2023)
FY25 (July 1, 2024)
CEHS Equipment Policies
- CEHS will only purchase one computer per faculty/staff member
- This includes any University fund (state, start up, grants, etc.).
- If an employee needs a computer to work from multiple locations, a laptop is recommended as this one computer purchase.
- If an additional computer(s) is necessary due to the type of work being performed or due to multiple permanent workspaces at UNL, a rationale must be provided to the CEHS Business Team with approval from the department head.
- CEHS does not furnish home offices with furniture or equipment.
- Faculty and staff requiring upgrades in hardware more often than every four years should make their request known to their department head and department funding will be used.
- Equipment that malfunctions or is broken and not covered on warranty, will be replaced on an as needed basis and in accordance with available dollars as long as it does not appear the equipment was handled negligently.
- Employees are encouraged to use shared networked printers. If a network printer does not meet the needs of the an individual faculty/staff member, a rationale must be provided to the CEHS Business Team with the approval from the department head.
- Individual servers are not allowed to be purchased by faculty and staff. The includes the purchase of computers to act as a server. If an employee needs a server for their work, they must work with CEHS IT to identify existing server options (e.g. Holland Computing Center and UNL virtual servers). If it is necessary to purchase a new server, CEHS IT will procure it, store it in a secure location, and make sure it is properly backed up and updated.
- CEHS faculty/staff members are personally responsible for equipment in their possession in off-campus locations. If equipment is lost or stolen, the faculty/staff is responsible and expected to reimburse UNL for the equipment's replacement. It is strongly recommended you obtain a business rider as part of your homeowner's insurance policy to cover the replacement costs.
All computers purchased through the CEHS Computer Replacement Program have warranties. The length and type of coverage may vary by type of computer (desktop/laptop) and brand (Apple/Dell).
Apple Desktops - Come with a 1-year warranty. We do not purchase a warranty that extends this coverage. Historically, we have had very few problems with iMacs that would benefit from an extended warranty. However, if an iMac would need repair after one-year, it is the responsibility of the department to pay for the repair or pay for a new computer. CEHS IT Staff will help determine which is the more cost-effective solution. If the computer needs repair in its 4th year and it is determined it is more cost effective to purchase a new computer, the individual will be moved up a year in the computer replacement cycle.
Apple Laptops - Come with a 1-year warranty. We purchase a warranty that extends the coverage for two additional years (3 years total) and includes accidental damage. If the computer needs repair during the 4th year, CEHS IT Staff will determine if it is more cost effective to repair the computer (the department would pay for costs) or to purchase a new computer. If it;s the latter, the individual will be moved up a year in the computer replacement cycle.
Dell Desktops - We purchase with a 3-year warranty. If the computer needs repair during the 4th year, CEHS IT Staff will determine if it is more cost effective to repair the computer (the department would pay for costs) or to purchase a new computer. If it's the latter, the individual will be moved up a year in the computer replacement cycle.
Dell Laptops - We purchase with a 3-year warranty and accidental damage. If the computer needs repair during the 4th year, CEHS IT Staff will determine if it is more cost effective to repair the computer (the department will pay for costs) or to purchase a new computer. If it's the latter, the individual will be moved up a year in the computer replacement cycle.
Data Storage and Backup Options
Imagine, you don't have access to your computer for a week. Would you be able to continue to work with a substitute computer? Or would you be at a loss without your files? The best way to ensure you don't lose your files along with work time is to have remote access or a backup of your files.
If you work with sensitive data, such as HIPAA, FERPA, PII, or SSNs, please contact your local CEHS IT staff for the best option for data storage and back up.
Server Data Storage
By storing data remotely on a server-based system, you can access your files from any device. The server(s) are set up with an automatic backup. If the server goes down, there is a remote backup copy available to restore.
A. Box Folder(s)
The University of Nebraska - Lincoln provides Box as a free and secure data storage and collaboration service for all UNL faculty, staff, and students. You can store, access, and share unlimited amount of data (e.g. MS Office files, photos, videos). You can access your files via web browser (box.unl.edu), your desktop (Box drive or Box Sync), and through apps on iOS and Android devices. Note: You can request a restricted Box account to store HIPAA, FERPA, and PII data. Many researchers use the restricted Box accounts to store and archive research data.
For questions, contact your local CEHS IT staff or Matt Kutscher, Academic Technology Specialist (email@example.com).
B. Network File Server
Depending on your department, you may have and option to use a file server to store your data. For questions, contact your local CEHS IT staff.
If you want a complete backup of your computer, the two options are NSave and a local external drive.
UNL offers NSave as a data backup/restore service at $6.50 per month for unlimited storage space, with up to 4 devices per account. For questions, contact your local CEHS IT staff.B. External Portable Storage Drive
If you want a local back up of your computer, an external drive can be set up to automatically back up your computer. The typical cost for a quality drive is approximately $100. For questions, contact your local CEHS IT staff.
(Note: Do not use an external drive to store sensitive data, such as FERPA and HIPAA).
|Box||File Server||NSave||External Drive|
|Cost||Free||Depends on the service.||$5/mo, up to 4 devices||$100 (one time cost)|
|Sensitive Data*||Yes||Depends on the service.||No||No|
|Share Files for Collaboration||Yes||Yes||No||No|
*Sensitive data (e.g. FERPA, HIPAA, PII) should not be stored on your local computer drive, therefore Nsave and external drives should not be used to backup sensitive data.
*Sensitive data (excluding SSNs) can be stored on Box, using a restricted Box account. To request this account, you will need to log in to the web page @ https://its.unl.edu/services/box/request-box-research-data-storage/.