CEHS donation drive for refugees is Nov. 13 on East Campus
05 Nov 2021
The College of Education and Human Sciences Staff Council is partnering with the Refugee Empowerment Center to host a donation drive to support refugees coming to Nebraska. The refugee donation drive will be held Nov. 13, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on the East Campus Mall, north of 35th and Holdrege Streets in Lincoln. All are welcome to attend.
The idea for the donation drive originated within the CEHS Staff Council after word came earlier in the fall that approximately 775 evacuees from Afghanistan are expected to settle in Nebraska. The group is part of the first evacuees resettled across the country after they fled from Afghanistan when U.S. troops withdrew in August. The refugee drive is intended to support these evacuees and other refugees in Nebraska.
The donated items will be donated directly to the Refugee Empowerment Center in Omaha. The Center resettles refugees who are transitioning from vastly different backgrounds into American life. Their focus is helping clients live and work productively, further their education, and achieve a better life for themselves and their children.
Requested items include:
- Grocery gift cards and bus tickets
- Kitchen supplies such as boilers, coffee makers, rice cookers and utensils
- Lamps and light bulbs (energy efficient)
- New mattresses with bed frames, bedsheets, pillows and blankets
- Small appliances such as microwaves, toasters, TV sets, laptops, tablets, mobile phones (in working condition)
- Small furniture such as coffee tables and lamp stands
- Winter clothing such as adult and children’s coats/jackets, socks, hats, gloves, t-shirts, sweaters, scarves, shoes and boots
The donation drive will also feature recognized student organizations, like the Afghan Student Association, as well as cultural food trucks, and other activities to help people in the college and the community become familiar with other cultures found in their neighborhoods. The event is an opportunity to learn more about incoming Afghan refugees and current refugees in the community, and become empowered to build positive relationships.
For the most up to date information on the event, visit go.unl.edu/cehscares.
The CEHS Staff Council aims to enhance the work environment for staff in the college, promote teamwork that benefits the CEHS community and advocate for staff. To learn more about the Staff Council, visit https://cehs.unl.edu/staffcouncil/.
College of Education and Human Sciences