Leaders: Ruth Yan Xia, Richard Bischoff
This study abroad program in China was designed for students with a special interest in learning about Chinese families, children and family life. The program provided students with opportunities to experience Chinese culture through interactions with Chinese families and college-age students and participation in activities that helped them gain an appreciation for Chinese arts, exercise, food, and tradition, while also being able to see the amazing historical sites that represent Chinese culture and history.
- Met Chinese students and families, including opportunities to visit families in their homes.
- Explored the Great Wall of China, the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the Temple of Heaven Park, and Palaces of Chinese Emperors and royalty.
- Engaged in field experiences and guest lectures at your 2 host universities: Beijing Normal University and Xi'an Jiaotong University.
- Interacted with Chinese families and schools through visits to pre-schools, primary schools, secondary schools, and parks (Chinese parks are places for families to gather).
- Immersed ourselves in Chinese culture, including Chinese calligraphy, painting, agriculture, and religious practices, etc.