2017 Empowerment Initiative PresentationsThursday, September 28th
FOSTERING KINDNESS: USING TECHNOLOGY TO COMBAT ONLINE BULLYING
- Keynote Presenter: Susan M. Swearer, Ph.D.
- Alberti Center for Bullying Abuse Prevention
- Classics V Banquet Facility | 2425 Niagara Falls Blvd | Amherst, NY
- 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Bullying and harassment are ubiquitous problems that affect individuals across the lifespan. Despite this widespread problem, solutions to bullying and harassment are fraught with many barriers. Barriers include societal norms that support bullying behaviors, lack of resources, time constraints, and focus on academic versus psychosocial outcomes. Hackathons, which are organized events designed to use technology to create solutions to societal problems, might be a powerful tool to combatting bullying and online harassment. In Spring 2017, Major League Hacking, Hack Harassment, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln co-hosted a hackathon with the specific goal of creating applications to curb online bullying and harassment. This keynote address will review the products created through #HackUNL and will advocate for the creative use of technology to curb online bullying and harassment. For more information about the conference and how to register, please visit Alberti Center for Bullying Abuse Prevention conference website.
For information on booking an Empowerment Initiative speaker, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Archived Presentation Slides
- Creating a Culture of Kindness: Strategies for Preventing Bullying of Sexual/Gender Minority Youth
- School-Based Approaches to Identifying, Intervening, and Preventing Bullying Behaviors
- Creating a Kinder and Braver World: Strategies to End Bullying
- R U Rdy? Social Media and Bullying Prevention and Intervention