Ajai V. Ammachathram Program Director, Associate Professor, Food and Beverage Extension Specialist, and Global Engagement Coordinator
Ph.D., Educational Leadership, Eastern Michigan University
M.S., Hospitality Management, Eastern Michigan University
B.S., Hospitality Administration, Southern New Hampshire University
B.Sc., Hotel and Catering Management, University of Madras
Dr. Ammachathram is a hospitality leader and educator who has been associated with hospitality management for over 20 years. He is a Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE) from the American Hotel and Lodging Association Educational Institute, and currently serves as President on the board of the Central Federation of the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE).
Areas of Expertise
- Food and Beverage Management
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development
- Minority and New Entrepreneurship Development
- Retail and Franchising Management
- Nutrition programs within Nebraska Public Education
- Customer Service Management
- Pro-Start Curriculum
- Global Hospitality Education
- Hospitality Curriculum Development
- Higher Education Administration
Teaching Activities -70% Apportionment
- HRTM 373 Catering Management
- HRTM 479 Senior Seminar in Hospitality Management
- HRTM 495 Hospitality Management Study Tour
- HRTM 171 Introduction to Hospitality Management
- HRTM 377 Hospitality Franchising Management
- HRTM 481 Legal Environment in Hospitality Management
Extension Activities -25% Apportionment
Extension and outreach programs with focus on:
- Improving Nebraska foodservice professionals' knowledge of best practices and to support them in providing safe food and exceptional service while maintaining high industry standards.
- Increasing culinary and management skills among young minds for successful careers in the restaurant and foodservice industry through established curriculum development.
- Enhancing the Public-school foodservice program to provide balanced dietary intake, promote higher satisfaction, and improve health among children through improving managers' serving practices.
2021, "Why Tipping is an American Custom" -CNBC Network interview
2021, "Why Does Alcohol Cost So Much When You Fly?" -Mel Magazine
2020, "Is Dining Out Done? A Nebraska Industry Expert Discusses" -BTN LIVEBIG
2020, "Hospitality Program Looks Towards Future Amid Uncertainty in Industry (COVID-19) -Nebraska Today
2019, "Surviving the Storm" -Food Quality and Safety Magazine
2019, "Foodservice Operations Management Checklist"
2019, "Be a Guide on the Side" -Hospitality quarterly, Nebraska Restaurant Association
2018, "Latest Food and Beverage Trends in the Hotel Industry" -University of Madras, India
2017-2019, "Spice Myth-busters" -Nebraska State Fair demonstration