Community Health and Wellness Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Community Health and Wellness option is designed for those students interested in health education and health promotion. Students will earn a bachelor's degree in Education and Health Sciences (B.S.) with the Community Health and Wellness Option.
Graduates are prepared to promote healthy lifestyles and enhance the quality of life for individuals and communities while working in a variety of settings to include worksite health promotion programs, schools, public health agencies, nonprofit health organizations, and voluntary health agencies (American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, etc.).
Many of our students go on to pursue careers in nursing, dentistry, physical therapy, and other allied health fields. This option is also appropriate for students interested in pursuing graduate programs in such areas as public health, health policy, and other related areas.
Upon completion of the option, students will be eligible to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam. The CHES credential conveys to potential employers and colleagues that one is competent to:
- Assess Needs, Resources and Capacity for Health Education/Promotion
- Plan Health Education/Promotion
- Implement Health Education/Promotion
- Conduct Evaluation and Research Related to Health Education/Promotion
- Administer and Manage Health Education/Promotion
- Serve as a Health Education/Promotion Resource Person
- Communicate, Promote, and Advocate for Health, Health Education/Promotion, and the Profession
UNL Points of Distinction
- Nationally and internationally recognized faculty
- Integrated approach to healthy lifestyles
- Qualification for Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam
The Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is committed to creating an environment that is welcoming to all; where each person feels accepted, valued, and safe. To learn more, visit https://go.unl.edu/hr8a.
- Public health educator
- Corporate wellness manager
- Community health educator
- Health program planner
- Health services manager
- Health coach
- Research and graduate programs