Nutrition and Exercise PhysiologyDoctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Doctoral students in the Ph.D. in Human Sciences program, who are interested in academic research and teaching careers in nutrition and exercise physiology research, will be advised by Dr. Terry Housh. Students will acquire advanced competencies in nutrition, exercise, research design, and statistics. Following graduation, they will be well-prepared for teaching and research careers.
- NUTR 884/484 Physiology of Exercise (3)
- NUTR 886/486 Exercise Testing and Exercise Programming in Adult Fitness and Cardiac Rehabilitation (4)
- NUTR 856/456 Clinical Exercise Physiology (3)
- NUTR 858 Exercise, Sports and Performance Nutrition (3) and/or NUTR 960 Nutrient Function During Exercise
- NUTR 950 Integrated Principles of Human Nutrition (3) or other 800- or 900- level metabolism courses
If these undergraduate courses have been completed (NUTR 484, NUTR 486, or NUTR 456), graduate courses can be selected appropriate to your career goals from the Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences as well as other departments which align with your area of study. Example courses of interest to our students can be found here.
Doctoral Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantship with Dr. Terry Housh
- Available annually starting in the fall.
- Teaching is in the fall and spring semesters, with summer teaching also available.
- High priority for students who:
- are committed to a research career
- teach exercise physiology, exercise testing, and exercise programming in adult fitness and cardiac rehabilitation
- have completed courses in exercise science at the undergraduate or master's level
- Only students with completed applications will be considered for this graduate assistantship.
For more information regarding assistantships and fellowships, click here.
The Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is committed to creating an environment that is welcoming to all; where each person feels accepted, valued, and safe. To learn more, visit https://cehs.unl.edu/nhs/nhs-deib/.
- Nutrition and Exercise Consultant
- Health-Fitness Instructor-ACSM
- Exercise Specialist-ACSM
- Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist-NSCA