Educational StudiesDoctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
The focus of the Ph.D. program in Educational Studies is to prepare scholars for leadership roles in teaching, research and program supervision and development.
The emphasis is upon the generation of new knowledge or the reformulation of existing knowledge as a basis for the development of educational theory through research efforts. The test of knowledge is on the possible contribution to the development of educational theory, but you will also develop skills to improve educational practice.
All applicants for the doctoral program in special education are required to discuss their professional goals/interests with at least one faculty member in the department and secure faculty sponsorship before admission is awarded.
Learn about the new opportunity to focus your Ph.D. on intervention design.
- Leadership Roles in Schools
- Research Institutes
Application to this program
Visit the Office of Graduate Studies website and submit the following:
- Online application
- TOEFL scores (International students only) (Institution code = 6877; Department code = 77)
- Financial Resource Certification (International students only)
You must also enter or upload the following:
- Statement of purpose/ goals
- Prerequisite courses
- GRE scores (Institution code = 6877; Department code = 0620) *GRE requirement has been reinstated beginning with admission for Spring 2022*
- Names and contact information for three references of your choosing. (The system will automatically email the specified people and request that each upload the recommendation.)
References should be able to write letters attesting to the applicant’s academic ability to successfully complete graduate school. Letters should be signed by the reference and submitted on letterhead. These references likely hold a master's or more advanced degree, and should not have any family connection to the applicant.
- Assistantship / Fellowship Application (optional)
- Writing Sample (Required)
- Advisor Support Agreement (Required)
Deadline for Applicants
March 1 for consideration of Barkley Doctoral Fellow funding; otherwise rolling admission.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the application process. It is your responsibility to ensure that all materials are submitted and received by the deadline.START THE APPLICATION PROCESS AT GRADUATE STUDIES