Secondary Education (7-12) Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
We offer an internationally recognized Secondary Teacher Education Program. Students enrolled in this program earn a Bachelor of Science in Education with certification to teach in grades 7-12. This is an on-campus degree program for students who have a strong desire to teach and advance disciplinary knowledge in specific content areas.
In the Secondary Teacher Education Program, students
- Receive professional mentoring from content area experts who can transform disciplinary passions into teaching expertise,
- Experience the challenges and complexities of teaching and learn to make practical use of sound educational theory,
- Become educational leaders who are prepared to work with diverse learners, schools, and communities,
- Build meaningful links between previous learning experiences and learning environments,
- Build upon the “pedagogical content knowledge” gained in university classrooms by implementing it in the secondary school learning environment,
- Exemplify the relationship between theory and practice field experiences taken in conjunction with education courses,
- Develop cutting-edge practices guided by experts in the field in blending education theory, sound research practice, and practical teaching experience,
- Learn to teach confidently and provide educational leadership in schools and communities during the student teaching semester.
There are six endorsement areas for you to choose from in Secondary Education:
- Middle or high school teacher
- Community-based youth educator
- Business or corporate youth educator
- Youth coach