What Is Google CS Educator PD?
- We received the grant (Google CS Educator PD Grants) to provide grade 6-12 educators in rural areas in Nebraska with computer science professional development during the 2018-2019 school year. In collaboration with local educational units, we provided three computer science professional development workshops tailored to meet the local needs in three different regions (ESU 6, ESU 4/5 and Hastings regions).
- Each workshop consisted of three days of in-person training and 2-3 virtual follow-up sessions. Participants also received some coding kits to take home with them.
- We partnered with ESU 6, Southeast Community College Continuing Education, ESU 4/5, and Hastings Public Schools to cosponsor, organize and implement three CS workshops in Lincoln, Beatrice and Hastings.
- Hands-on, plugged & unplugged activities to develop computational thinking (e.g., problem-solving, debugging, student reflection)
- Hands-on, plugged & unplugged activities that focus on robotics & physical computing and developing the knowledge of the interaction between computers and the physical world (e.g., micro:bit, Arduino Circuit Playground)
- Higher-tech, STEM experiences (e.g., TinkerCAD, 3D modeling & printing, game design with Bloxels)
With ESU 6 & Southeast Community College Continuing Education
- Region: ESU 6 region
- Workshop dates: Jan 24 (Thu), Jan 25 (Fri) & Jan 30 (Wed), 2019
- Location: Southeast Community College, Continuing Education Center (Lincoln, NE)
- Virtual sessions: ###, ### & ###
- Partner: ESU 6 and Southeast Community College, Continuing Education Center
With ESU 5
With Hastings Public Schools