The student must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Provide evidence (Verification Statement) of having completed Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics Minimum Academic Requirements as specified by ACEND.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4 point system is required. A total GPA below 3.0 based on a 4.0 scale will not be considered. Special attention is given to grades in the basic sciences; food, nutrition and food service management courses.
- Completion of Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Be admitted to the UNL Graduate College.
While not required for application, final admission to the program is dependent upon completing a criminal and abuse background check. The UNL dietetic internship program hires an outside vendor to conduct criminal and abuse background checks for incoming UNL interns. Interns are responsible for the cost of this background check. The results will be maintained in the intern's file. If the criminal and abuse background check reveals questionable information, an intern may be denied direct patient/client access to supervised practice facilities. This will result in unsuccessful completion of the program. Upon acceptance to the UNL Dietetic Internship, additional background check information will be sent to the intern. Students admitted to the dietetic internship program must complete Master's Level Dietetic Internship Core Courses with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 before beginning the supervised practice experiences in January.
Dietetic Internship Core Courses
- NUTR 986 Graduate Seminar (1 credit hour)
- NUTR 956 Community Nutrition (3 credit hours)
- A minimum of an additional six hours of graduate coursework which supports the intern's professional goals.
Recency of Education Requirements
Additional courses in dietetics or a related area are required to update a degree which was completed five (5) or more years prior to application to the internship program. Courses taken to satisfy the requirements must be completed at a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. An official transcript verifying completion of the courses with a grade of "B" or better must accompany the internship application. Only courses completed within the last five (5) years are acceptable and approved by Program Director.
- 0-5 years - Updating not required
- 5-10 years - 6 semester or 9 quarter hours
- 10 years or longer - 12 semester or quarter hour
Credit for Prior Experience
The dietetic internship does not give credit for prior work experience. However, rotations may be modified based on a student's prior work experience. The student must complete all rotations no matter the nature of their previous work experience.
The program will accept credit for completion of NUTR 986 and NUTR 956 if completed at UNL by the intern before acceptance into the internship program. Because both courses provide supervised practice hours that count toward the 1200 hour minimum requirement, the program will not accept credit for a course that is transferred into the program with similar titles.