Human and Family Services AdministrationMaster of Science (M.S.)
The Master of Science Degree in Child, Youth and Family Studies with a specialization in Human and Family Services Administration is designed to provide you with the comprehensive understanding and broad-based skills necessary for the development, administration and management of human service organizations.
The online Human and Family Services Administration program combines expertise in family studies with the business skills required for administrative positions.
This program integrates the following four content areas:
- Family Functioning — principles of family theory, contemporary research, and working with diverse populations
- Program Design and Evaluation — fundraising, grant writing, data collection, measuring outcomes and cost effectiveness of interventions, and program design and development
- Professional Issues — ethical and legal issues, and a professional internship
- Administration and Management Skills and Knowledge — human resources, program management and public policy
As a graduate of this program, you will be prepared, through practical knowledge and skill building, to design, administer, and manage programs, agencies and organizations that shape community impact.
Application to this program
Required materials:Graduate Studies Application
GRE (GRE requirement has been waived for all students applying to CYAF Graduate Programs for Spring 2022 and Fall 2022 start terms)
Statement of Professional Goals
Three Letters of Reference
Other Application Materials
A minimum of 36 credit hours is needed and course work is made up from courses in both Child, Youth & Family Studies (CYAF) as well as Public Administration (PA). PA courses are administered through University of Nebraska Omaha.
- Family Content
- CYAF 972 Theories of Human Development and Family Relations
- CYAF 893 Special Topics in Contemporary Family Issues
- CYAF 895 Special Topics in Family and Cultural Diversity
- Program Design, Evaluation and Research
- CYAF 873 Program Design, Evaluation and Implementation
- CYAF 866 Family Professionals as Consumers of Research
- Administration and Management
- PA 8050 Foundations in Public Service
- PA 8400 Public Budgeting OR PA 8480 Public Finance Administration
- PA 8550 Introduction to the Nonprofit Sector
- PA 8580 Nonprofit Human Resource Management OR PA 8410 Public Human Resource Management OR PA 8090 Organization Theory & Behavior
- Professional Issues
- CYAF 897D Community Internships in Child, Youth and Family Studies OR PA 8470 Administrative Ethics and Leadership OR PA 8100 Advance Management & Leadership for Public & Nonprofit Professionals
Faculty advising students in this program area include: