During the 2013-14 academic year, the College of Education and Human Sciences celebrated its 10th birthday. Formed in 2003 by the joining of the Teachers College and the College of Human Resources and Family Sciences, CEHS is a one-of-a-kind college in Nebraska and one of just a few nationwide that combine the fields of teacher education, educational psychology, individual and family development, consumer sciences, counseling, leadership and administration, nutrition and health, special education, communication disorders, and textiles, merchandising and fashion design into a single college aimed at enhancing people's lives.
The seeds for our founding colleges were planted in 1894 and 1908. Throughout our history our college has been a pioneer in research, a resource for the state of Nebraska, and a training ground for emerging professionals in a wide variety of fields. Please see our historical timeline below for more information.
The College of Education and Human Sciences is dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals, families, schools and communities and to strengthening the relationships among them.
Historic Moments in CEHS
Teachers College and the College of Human Resources and Family Sciences joined together to create a new college dedicated to strengthening individuals, families, schools and communities.
The International Quilt Study Center was added to the college to promote the appreciation of quilts as an art form. Its current building was opened in 2008.
The Robert Hillestad Textiles Gallery, the only gallery dedicated to textiles in the region, was established.
The Educational Psychology department was ranked No.1 in the country in scholarly publications.
a distance education doctoral program was established, the first of its kind in the nation.
Teachers College was identified in a national study as having the top student teaching program in the country.
The School of Home Economics was raised to status of College of Home Economics. Student enrollment tripled, and the college expanded into two new home management laboratories.
The College created the first Department of Clothing, Textiles and Design featuring majors in Interior Design, Textile Design, Textile Science, Fashion Merchandising and Fashion Design.
The first building dedicated to study of child development west of the Mississippi was opened. It was named for Ruth Staples, who taught the first child development course at Nebraska.
Teachers College building was dedicated. It is now Canfield Hall North.
The UNL Board of Regents established Teachers College to focus on “the history, theory and practice of teaching to improve the quality of secondary teaching.” Temple High School ( also called Teachers College High School ) was established as a laboratory school for the College.
Rosa Bouton developed a course called Chemistry of Foods.