Teacher Certification and Renewal

I need to apply for my first teaching certificate

How To Apply For Your Nebraska Teaching Certificate
  1. Apply on-line up to 30 days prior to degree/program completion to the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) at: www.education.ne.gov/tcert and click on “Online Application” at the bottom of the page on the left.  Answer all questions as though your program is complete.  Payment can be made by credit/debit card, check or money order. 

  2. If you have not been a continuous Nebraska resident for the past 5 years the Nebraska Department of Education requires that you submit fingerprints. Please click on the link for directions: https://cdn.education.ne.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/FP-Directions.pdf

  3. Once your student teaching grades/degree post, UNL will send your Institutional Recommendation to the NDE. (If you receive correspondence from the NDE that they are missing this item, please let them know WHEN your program will be complete and note that UNL will send it at that time.) YOU are responsible for ordering a UNL e-transcript (to be sent once grades/degrees post) through MyRed, current student, transcripts, choose server and have it sent to bethina.garrett@nebraska.gov at the NDE.

I need to renew my teaching certificate

RENEWING YOUR NEBRASKA TEACHING CERTIFICATE Through the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

If your certificate has not expired or has expired less than five years, and you have not taught half time or more for one (1) school year during the past 5 years, the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) will require that you complete 6 hours of approved coursework (graduate) to renew your certificate. For teachers whose certificates have expired more than 5 years, 15 hours of coursework (graduate) is required.

UNL’s College of Education & Human Sciences offers appropriate classes online as well as classes on campus that meet one night/week during the fall and spring semesters and daytime in the summer sessions. Please access the Schedule of Classes. If you wish to sort by only online classes, click on “additional search criteria” and under “location,” click on “Distance Delivery.”


You will need to apply as a non-degree student at www.unl.edu/gradstudies

The 6-credit hour program: Choose six graduate hours from 1) TEAC – Teaching, Learning & Teacher Education, EDPS – Educational Psychology, SPED – Special Education & Communication Disorders, SLPA – Speech Language Pathology, or CYAF – Child, Youth & Family Studies OR your endorsement area.

The 15-credit hour program: Contact Sara Skretta at 402-472-8626 to determine what courses you will take and how you will fulfill the practicum requirement. The NDE requires that you complete a course in Instructional Techniques; a Practicum consisting of 100 clock hours of contact with students in the classroom setting; a course which addresses Current Issues in Education – such as special education, gifted education, reading and writing in the content area, or school law; and Coursework Directly Related to the Applicant’s Area of Endorsement.

When you have completed the required coursework:

6-Hour Renewals:

15-Hour Renewals:

Certification Requirements for Other States

The University of Nebraska issues academic degrees which may not satisfy all requirements for professional credentials (e.g. certification, licensure) in other states or countries. Our educator preparation programs are accredited and designed to align with the rules and regulations of Nebraska’s education credentialing entity, the Nebraska Department of Education. This notification is part of the requirements of the U.S. Department of Education for students with an out-of-state address and are interested in or enrolled in degree programs that lead to state licensure of certification.

Because regulations can vary from state to state, if you anticipate you will seek professional credentialing outside of Nebraska, do not assume your degree from the University of Nebraska will satisfy all requirements in another state or country. Please contact the credentialing entity where you will be seeking a license or certification to identify any additional expectations that may be required. You are encouraged to do so early in your academic program.

Decisions regarding the issuing of certification are made by state agencies and not educator preparation programs. Certification information for some credentialing agencies can be accessed at https://www.nasdtec.net/page/InterstateAgreements. Because these agencies may change their information you are encouraged to go directly to an agency website to access the most current information in the state or country in which you plan to work.

Teacher Education Licensure Information (including K-12 certification, School Counseling, School Psychology, and Speech Language Pathology)

Certification and licensure requirements differ from state to state. The categories identified are Meets, Does Not Meet, and Have Not Made a Determination if it Does or Does Not Meet.

A Does Not Meet or Have Not Made a Determination if it Does or Does Not Meet does not necessarily indicate you will be unable to obtain certification or licensure in your home state. Please expand the selection below to check on the status of your state and check with your advisor, department chair or certification officer for further details.

Possible reasons for a Does Not Meet or Have Not Made a Determination if it Does or Does Not Meet may include the following:

  • Your home state certification agency requires a transcript review prior to application for certification
  • Your home state does not have an equivalent for an endorsement completed in Nebraska
  • Your home state requires you to take an additional course or exam specific to that state’s history or laws. These courses and exams are not available in Nebraska.

Students who plan to teach in states other than Nebraska should contact the Certification Officer. The Certification Officer can help students locate resources and requirements for certification and licensure in other states.

Meets Does Not Meet Have Not Made a Determination
Nebraska South Dakota, Wyoming Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, new Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

For additional information, contact:

Dr. Sara Skretta, Certification Officer

Teacher Education Websites:

Child, Youth and Family Studies

Educational Administration

Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education

Special Education & Communication Disorders

Educational Psychology (School Counseling & Psychology

Website and contact information for state boards of education

Contact Us:

Sara Skretta Certification Officer

Kendra Marker Administrative Coordinator