THE TEACHER SCHOLARS ACADEMY will grow the next generation of diverse educators that will lead the way for educational change. The program aim is to prepare the teachers who will be the backbone of school transformation, reflective thinkers who will continue to grow and develop beyond their degree. We intend that teachers who emerge from the academy will be engaged in ways that prepare students for the future.
- Academy Seminar
- Peer Mentorship with Upper-Class Scholars
- Leadership Opportunities
- Shared Coursework with Peers
- Over the past two-years, Scholars have completed over 2,767 service projects with the Lincoln Lighthouse, Special Musicians, Teammates, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Lincoln Literacy, and local schools and daycare centers.
- Meet all teaching program requirements and courses as determined by your approved teacher preparation major and course plan, on an adequate progression timeline as determined by the Faculty and Academic Advisors
- Complete service and research requirements as determined by the Coordinator and Faculty
- Attend all workshops and learning opportunities as determined by the Coordinator and Faculty
- Participate in all seminars associated with the Academy as determined by the Coordinator and Faculty
Qualifying Majors within the College of Education and Human Sciences
EARLY EDUCATION AND ELEMENTARY
- Special Education
- Elementary Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Inclusive Early Childhood
- Foreign Languages
- Business, Marketing, and Information Technology
- Family Consumer Science
- Skilled and Technical Sciences
- Special Education
- Social Sciences
The UNL Teacher Scholars Academy is now accepting applications for a special cohort set to begin in the spring semester of 2024. Any student enrolled in a CEHS teacher-education program is eligible to apply, regardless of class standing. Transfer students, upper-class students, and first-year students are welcome to apply. Deadline to apply is Friday, September 29th, 2023 at 4:00pm.
Applicants accepted into the UNL Teacher Scholars Academy will be awarded a scholarship of $10,000 per year ($5,000 fall semester, $5,000 spring semester) for up to 4 years of continuous enrollment in a CEHS teacher-education approved program.
Click here to apply by Friday, September 29, 2023 at 4:00pm:
Supportive Environment Graduates feel that being part of the Academy was crucial to their success navigating college.
Equitable and Inclusive Graduates credit their experience in the Academy with their development of equitable teaching practices.
Engaged with the Community Graduates attribute the resources and connections established through the Academy with their active involvement across campus and beyond.
“To hear how much of an impact the university has on my peers is inspiring. UNL has given so much to me, so I feel like I should give back and help my peers and this university find the best versions of themselves.”
- Paul Pechous, Teacher Scholar Special Education (7-12) major, ASUN president, student regent