Shavonna HolmanAssistant Professor of Practice, P-12 School Leadership M.ED. Coordinator
Ed.D., Educational Administration, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2011
M.S., Educational Administration, University of Nebraska-Omaha, 2004
M.S., Elementary Education, University of Nebraska- Omaha, 2001
B.S., Elementary Education, University of Nebraska-Omaha, 1999
Dr. Holman is the Coordinator of the MEd Program and has been an assistant professor of Educational Administration at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln since 2013. Prior to higher education, she spent more than 10 years in the public education sector serving both as an elementary teacher and elementary principal in diverse, urban settings.
Dr. Holman’s outreach work includes involvement with Cognia (formerly AdvancED), collaborative research efforts with the Nebraska Department of Education Title I Office and Nebraska Center for Research on Children, Youth, Families and Schools, as well as serving on the Board of Education for the Omaha Public Schools. In June 2021, Dr. Holman launched a new podcast series, Lead Big REd with Dr. Sturgeon.
Areas of Expertise
- Diversity and equity in education
- High poverty urban schools
- Educational leadership
- School improvement
Dr. Holman’s teaching focuses on school improvement efforts, diversity and equity in educational organizations and leadership in P-12 schools. Her courses include EDAD 800 (Introduction to Research), EDAD 920 (Diversity and Equity), EDAD 851 (School Appraisal), EDAD 830 (Administrative Theory), EDAD 905 (School Governance) EDAD 837 (School Law) and EDAD 890 (Elementary Principalship). Dr. Holman is interested in students who are committed to children, their development and their progress. She wants her advisees to realize the importance in making a difference and having an impact through teaching, learning and leading. She expects her advisees to see their potential in being change agents in education and seeing solutions, not just the problems.
- Currently serving as the Vice President of the Omaha Public Schools Board as well as on the Board of Directors for the Nebraska Association of School Board
- Yearly, Dr. Holman serves on 1-2 Engagement Reviews throughout the state of Nebraska for AdvancED Accreditation. Through the AdvancED Accreditation Process, Engagement Review Teams gather first-hand evidence and information pertinent to evaluating an institution's performance against the research-based AdvancED Performance Standards.
- Also serves on the Nebraska Leadership and Learning Network (NLLN) in which they are working and are designing a sustainable in-state model to ensure equity-driven school leadership support in schools receiving comprehensive support and improvement (CSI).
- EDAD 800: Foundations of Research & Methods
- EDAD 830: Administrative Theory in Educational Organizations
- EDAD 903: Issues in Community Relations