Speech-Language PathologyMaster of Science (M.S.)

clinician working with child

The master’s degree in speech-language pathology meets the academic and clinical requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), Nebraska licensure, and the Nebraska Department of Education teaching endorsement in speech-language pathology.

It will take two years, including two summer semesters for a total of six terms, to complete all academic and clinical requirements for the master's degree. A minimum of 45 semester hours is required.

Frequently Asked Questions About Applying To the Program


  1. Demonstrate knowledge of disability assessment and intervention across the lifespan.
  2. Demonstrate skills in assessment and intervention across the lifespan.
  3. Be certification and licensure ready.

SLP Student Outcome Date


The Master of Science (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology {residential} at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Other Program Information

The master's degree program in speech-language pathology was awarded accreditation on Oct. 31, 1975, and the program has maintained that status since then.

The master's (M.S.) education program in speech language pathology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is also approved by the Nebraska Department of Education for teacher endorsement in speech language pathology.

Prerequisites for M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology

  • Applicants should have a bachelor's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology or similar field.


  • Applicants not having a relevant bachelor's degree are welcome to apply, but must have at least 75 percent of the prerequisites completed prior to the first fall semester of the graduate program. Find more information here.

How to Apply: M.S. Degree Programs

*The GRE is no longer required for admission to this master's degree program as of May 2022.*

Visit the Office of Graduate Studies website and submit the following:

  • Online application 
  • Transcripts 
  • TOEFL scores (International students only) (Institution code = 6877; Department code = 77) 
  • Financial Resource Certification (International students only)

You must also be prepared to enter or upload the following: 

  • Resume/vita
  • Statement of purpose/ goals
  • Prerequisite courses
  • Names and contact information for three references of your choosing. (The system will automatically email the specified people and request that each complete the recommendation and upload a letter of reference.)
    References should be able to write letters attesting to the applicant’s academic ability to successfully complete graduate school. These references likely hold a master's or more advanced degree, and should not have any family connection to the applicant.
  • Assistantship / Fellowship Application (optional) 
  • Writing Sample (optional)

Deadline for M.S. Applicants

January 15. (Summer/Fall admission only)

Contact graduate@unl.edu with any questions regarding transcripts. All other application process questions can be sent to Jill England at jill.england@unl.edu.

Application to this program

Minimum standards:
-Competitive applicants will have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
-Three letters of recommendation attesting to your ability to complete a program of graduate studies.
-Undergraduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology or related major, or prerequisite courses completed.
A student wishing to pursue graduate study in speech-language pathology who has an undergraduate degree in an area other than speech-language pathology/audiology is classified as a “lateral entry student.” Application information for lateral entry students is available here.

A student may be provisionally admitted if he or she lacks prerequisite courses or do not meet minimum GPA standards. If admitted provisionally, the student can attain full graduate standing by satisfying the specific conditions of the provisional admission. In such cases, the Department Graduate Committee will stipulate what the student must do to achieve full graduate standing.

Non-degree, Post Baccalaureate
This registration (status) is for students who satisfy minimum Graduate Studies admission standards but are not working toward an advanced degree. Non-degree students who wish to be considered for admission to the M.S. program in Speech-Language Pathology must formally apply through the Office of Graduate Studies. Credits obtained as a non-degree graduate student may be considered for the master's degree program when appropriate. However, usually no more than 6 hours of class work during the period when the student holds non-degree status will be accepted toward fulfilling the graduate program requirements. Also note that a non-degree student must have permission from the instructor to take a graduate class in our department. Non-degree students cannot participate in clinical practicum courses.